Monday, September 12, 2005

Very Important Knitting

In the interests of sticking to my goal of avoiding silly purchases of novelty yarns called things like Twizzle and Frizzee, I decided to knit something really really serious. Something I really had to commit to and carry through on. And, thus, my version of the Rogue was born...a serious jumper which has won blue ribbons in local fairs. Now that's something to try and live up to.

I started on Winter Solstice (June 21 Aussie time), thinking that was a pretty good time to start a new project. Clearly I was wrong as over the next month I ripped the whole thing up about 3 times. But I decided the universe was teaching me patience and persevered:


And this is where I am now (note to self: try using a FLASH next time, eh?). You can't see a damn thing in this pic, but the yarn is the very lovely Jo Sharp Silkroad Aran in Quartz - 85% wool, 10% silk, 5% cashmere. Absolute luxury. Makes you want to keep knitting just so you can TOUCH it (*drool*).

The back is done and I just picked up the stitches on the front (after this pic was taken) and started the cables on the throat. Reversing the knit-side charts for the purl-side is giving me some grief, but thankfully I have my buddy Meg to drag me through it kicking and whining. Meg and I started the Rogue together as a pact (suicide pact?) but of course she finished hers millenia ago! That's OK - I'll have mine ready in time for the blistering heat of another Aussie summer - handy!

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Aha! I found you. Congratulations on the site, I love it. Do you think the poster of the comment before mine read your blog and thought, here is a willing participant in my quest to sell ladies boots, I'll leave a handy comment for her...
About that stash problem, what about the ripped apart jumpers from Vinnie's? Do you have to knit up that part of the stash too? And does buying new jumpers in order to unravel count as buying new yarn (for which you must have a pattern and the will to complete the project) or is it counted as creative experimentation slash sustainability effort???

10:02 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Oops...yes i didn't count the half-frogged jumpers either. Oh dear. And yes i have to count them as part of The Problem because the issue with me is the amount of space the yarn takes up in our flat. That's why Hubby and I are currently searching for a house to buy (and you thought it was an interest in real estate / nesting instinct).

1:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home