Friday, September 16, 2005

it's time for fairy cakes, people!

Another thing apart from knitting that I crave to do more of is cooking. I got this great retro mixing bowl with spout and handle just recently from David Jones (complete with pink silicone spatula). I love the idea of the bowl that becomes a jug - mixing up a pancake batter and being able to just pour it right out into the pan, or pouring cupcake mix straight into little patty pans - how wonderfully kitsch.



Since I'm not much of a cook (or used to be OK but haven't been into it for ages) I thought I'd get some tips from Nigella on how to become a Domestic Goddess. Then I discovered something else closeby that looked interesting...notice anything similar between the two in the following pic?


It seems the fairy cake is rather popular with the food stylists at the moment. I've always loved little old ladies and the food that little old ladies make, so I think it's all good. This weekend's goal is to whip up somethin' wonderful out of one of these books. I collect little old lady tea cups (with the tea cups, the yarn, endless recipe books I've used maybe once or twice, and countless other collections, you can probably understand why the hubby and I are buying a house) so I reckon one of these dainty little cup cakes with the flower on top are the go. But rest assured, there are so many completely-decadent-and-in-no-way-dainty things in these books. Nigella has some gorgeous sweet and sticky stuff like the burnt-butter brown-sugar cupcakes, molten chocolate babycakes (enough with the teeny tiny cakes already - *drool*), and gooey chocolate stack.....mmmmm! The other book picked up has some great old fashioned stuff like hearty casseroles and chunky soups - things my mum used to make when I was a kid. Food was more comforting back then. (Can you tell I'm a wee bit jaded about trendy cafe food and "nouveau cuisine"?) There are also some traditional multicultural recipes I'd like to try like moussaka.

Happy weekends everyone - hopefully I'll have photographic evidence of little tiny cakes at the end of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

I demand Fairy cakes on Tuesday night. If hubby ate them all, you'll just have to make more in secret.

10:41 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

you will have your cake, miss meg.

10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home