Monday, August 07, 2006

Something to sink your teeth into

Hubby (the owner of the above set of chattering teeth - nice aren't they? you want some, don't you?) shouted us to a fabulous dinner out at Cala Luna on Saturday night. Cala Luna is an Italian place, on the Spit Bridge at Mosman. It was a bit of a last minute thing, but a great idea. This meal rated in as one of the Top 5 meals I've ever had. First off they brought out some pane di case and olive oil which is a pretty standard thing, but then they also brought us a little aperitif to try on the house, which was a nice touch. It was a rustic pea and ham soup served in an espresso cup - just a nice little taste to set the taste buds off. Next up we launched into entrees of poached eggs on asparagus topped with herbs, cress, and shaved grana cheese. Sounds unusual, but it's a perfect blend of flavours. For "secondi" I had the roast suckling pig, with roast apples and figs. This was amazing. I can still taste it. Normally I would feel bad about eating tiny weeny animals, but this was just too succulent for words. Nice piggy. Not only was the meat cooked to perfection, but the crackling was so light and crunchy - I couldn't believe it was really crackling. It was just too airy and crunchy. Then there was dessert - Oh my lordy - absolutely gorgeous. Hubby had the tiramisu and I had a Citrus something-or-other. I can't remember what it was called but it came as a little arrangment of glasses on a plate. A citrus salad, a creme brulee, and a scoop of orange sorbet with glace orange rind - I liked how they presented things as separate little treats to enjoy. Both desserts came with a complementary liqueur - his was some nice sticky dessert wine, and mine was a traditional Italian lemon liqueur. I can't wait till we go back. Only next time I will be sure not to eat all day. I was so full after this meal I waddled away in pain. I guess that was the innocent little pig getting me back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home