Monday, August 14, 2006

Tips for getting rid of aphids naturally

I've had a bit of a problem with aphids on our potted herbs lately. In winter we don't get a lot of full sun - I think that's how the problem started. Aphids seem to pick on plants that aren't getting as much sunlight as they need. I've tried a few methods to sort this out. I didn't want to use any chemicals obviously as they are plants intended for eating, and I just don't much fancy spraying chemicals around the place anyway. I heard that spraying the plant with a Tabasco sauce and water mixture can help with some insects. Not aphids it seems. In fact I think they liked it. I tried sitting the plant in the lounge room where the greatest amount of sun reaches. It doesn't seem to have helped at all. In fact, aphid populations increased to the point that they were dropping sticky stuff on the floor and I had to put one of the plants, a very leafy and otherwise healthy looking parsley, out on the balcony to fend for itself. This morning I found the oregano had also taken a sticky turn for the worse so I thought I'd see how the parsley was faring, and maybe abandon the second plant to a similar fate. Only, when I opened the balcony door, I wasn't expecting this:

I guess I don't need to worry about those aphids any more. There were about three of them left, wondering what the hell had happened in the night!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

oh lordy...... how strange. i'm going to blame my archnemesis the grasshopper :)

2:49 pm  
Blogger Rebecca said...

hehe! i'd better set this straight as i've had a couple of questions/confused people. i would say it was a possum to munch through all that lot so efficiently in one night. if there was even one leaf left i would entertain the notion of something smaller having got it, but the plant was stripped bare!

3:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home