Saturday, February 03, 2007

On the drawing board...

It's weeks since I posted but rest assured while I've been holed away in my den I have been up to some crafty things. My Mum gave me a pile of her old sewing patterns for children's toys at Christmas time. Things I remember her making when I was a little girl. Saggy-bottomed frogs with beady little button eyes. Stuffed rabbits and hand-puppets made from scraps of fabric that I recognised from my old worn-out dresses and in new quilts she'd also made from them. When it came to craft, and most things in fact, my Mum was nothing if not resourceful. And still is I might say. So it was no surprise to find her paper patterns cut from discarded architectural drawings made by my father years before.

It's going to be a challenge to make some of these though, to say the least. Most of the patterns have been designed by Mum herself, or copied out of magazines sometime in the seventies. There are no instructions for how to put the pieces together, and in some instances it's hard to tell whether something is a leg or an arm, an ear or a belly section, or what the finished product should resemble. On the phone to Mum I tentatively announced that I would try out the pile of pieces labelled "March Hare". Her response was "Yes, I found that one a little tricky". This coming from my crafting mentor is a foreboding message. Nevertheless, I'll give it a burl. The pieces are cut and ready to go - I just have to figure out which bit to start with first:

Now, to knitting. I haven't really been into it lately. A few months back I got myself into an absolute tizz trying to get through my first piece of lace. I've abandoned that now, and whilst I might one day go back to the complicated stuff, for now all I want knitting for is a bit of fun. Something mindless to watch telly by. And when I say mindless I really mean it. Here's the start of a tea cosy. It's just gonna be two squares stitched up. If I get really crazy I might shape the top but don't bet on it. For now I'm going to be the girl who makes stuff from squares.

I won't get much of it done for a few days though as I'm sick again - nothing serious, but just enough to make me curl up in a ball and feel sorry for myself instead of doing stuff. And enough to stop me going to Stitch n Bitch, which means noone egging me on to knit more. I'll get there in my own good time. But don't hold your breath.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger susan said...

Well, Girl-who-makes-stuff-from-squares, if we won't see you at SnB we'll have to egg you on via comments. Hope you feel better.

6:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home