Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Post-mortem

Autumn, autumn
The sad and cold post mortem
The things we did last summer that we'll never do again

I wish I could remember the rest of this poem by Michael Leunig. It so sums my life up at the moment. I have had a gloriously indulgent 6 months off from work to enjoy the summer, but now that autumn's here and winter is on its way I have remembered that I have to go and get a job, and this little daydream has to end. There's lots of earning to be done so that we can buy a new house and settle ourselves fully into domestic bliss.

Autumn is my favourite time of year. It's the time I first started celebrating the seasons as a pagan, and it's also a time of the year whose themes most apply to my life in general. Autumn is a time to reflect and let go of the past, both good and bad - something I've never found easy to do. But I also love that autumn is a time to hunker down in preparation for the winter and be a bit of a hermit - my true nature. I'm so glad to be back in Canberra for it this year where you really do feel like you get a proper autumn, unlike Sydney where you have a year-long summer with a brief interjection of biting Harbour winds sometime around August.

And very soon it will be Samhain (for the uninitiated that's Halloween, celebrated on May 1 in the Southern Hemisphere) - my favourite celebration. In preparation I have gone out and bought the following goodies:


A flash new rolling pin, a scary cat biscuit-cutter to make scary gingerbread cats, and some black food dye to help ice them with.

As I write, the wind whips the house and whistles through the eaves - I can't wait for the crackling frost of winter!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home