Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sewing 101

It's a cold and rainy Sunday in Sydney so I've been indoors getting acquainted with my new Janome Memory Craft 4900. New in the sense that I bought it 8 months ago but apart from a couple of hand bags and knitting bags I sewed for Xmas pressies last year, it's been sitting in the corner on its lonesome.

On Thursday night I did a warm up with a fat quarter tote. You just fold a quilting fat quarter in half and chop a couple of strips off the top to make topstitched tube handles out of - I like it because it doesn't leave any waste (despite my hoarding of yarn and fabric, I actually have huge waste guilt! ...maybe that's why I hoard?).


I am calling it my chameleon tote as after I finished it I realised it's almost exactly the same as the doona cover we have on the bed at the moment. Can you spot Mr Tote in this picture?


Anyway, having got my toes wet on the chameleon (now there's a turn of phrase I can't see myself using again ever) I gave the promised apron a shot. I have had it in the back of my mind but couldn't decide on fabric/style. I ended up finding a Japanese fabric and figured something like that has got to be made into something cutesy. So here 'tis:


You can't see the fabric too well but it's got little Japanese fans and flowers and drum thingies on it, and some bauble type thingies too - what the hell are they?

It's still raining. Gotta find something else to do...

4 Comments:

Blogger Meg said...

Did you read the instruction book for that sewing machine yet????
Does the apron have a top half or is it a waist down affair? I tend to be very sloppy when cooking as you have seen, so a top half would be very useful if I were to have an apron... The curving edge is nicely done. I cannot believe that tote blends in so well with your doona, that could lead to some serious confusion of an early morning. My rainy Sunday was spent 2km down the road from you nursing a sick boy. Much watching of cricket, making of tea, and temperature gauging of forehead.

9:38 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

oh bummer - you should have visited with me instead :)

re instruction book.let - are you kidding me? do you think i can even thread that thing without it?!

it's a waist down one only, as a test. i will do a full length one next - i have some more fabric i've been saving up for it. it will also be a darker more practical colour. so will your one that you're getting for xmas :)

11:39 am  
Blogger Carla said...

so is my xmas present an apron too? :)

9:31 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

maybe it is maybe it isn't :)

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home