Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Buggeration.

AAARRRGHHH...I have been chugging along pretty well (for me) with the green spring top, but have just discovered a big fat pooey problem. Even though I checked my gauge when I started the first piece (the back) and it was fine then, I have discovered that at the top of each piece the gauge is TOTALLY OUT. It seems that as though the weight of the cotton is dragging the piece down and stretching the piece out. So much so that the arms are ridiculously long.

So now I don't know what to do. Do I redo the entire jumper in a smaller needle? but then how will I know whether the gauge is going to work out over an entire piece, given that I have discovered that gauge at the bottom of a piece is nothing to go by. Do I just have to give a smaller needle a whirl and see what happens? How many times am I going to have to knit this damn thing? I mean, really. Is this something that is always a problem with large cotton items or does it only happen when it's being knit on oversized needles?

Here's the offending arm upon which I discovered the problem.

I hate you, arm. In fact I hate knitting. I hate it. I hate any pattern that tells me anything more challenging than knit one knit one knit one. I'm sorry, I just can't deal with it. Go to hell, arm. YAARGHHHHHHHHHH...........

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Some trivial info I came across last night whilst flicking through the 1991 edition of The Guiness Book of Records.....

On 20 September 1980, a woman by the name of Mrs Gwen Matthewman of Featherstone attained a speed of 111 stitches per minute in a test at a Wool Shop in Leeds. And get this, her technique has been filmed by the world's only professor of knitting. He/she is Japanese.

Here's a test, how fast are you? Jeez, it's like a typing test from high school.

6:40 pm  
Blogger Meg said...

I'm not convinced it's the weight of the knitting pulling down that's making the gauge go out because you said it was too wide as well (which would seem to counterindicate the weight argument). I would redo the whole thing (sorry) in a smaller needle size AND switch to working back and forth on circs - that might reduce any 'pulling' tendencies the knitting has.

9:19 am  
Blogger Carla said...

yeah I agree with meg..... (rolls on floor laughing - like I'd have a clue!!)... good luck with it Bec.

10:19 am  
Blogger Rebecca said...

*grooooan* so do i just go down one needle size? or two? how do i tell? *sigh* maybe i'll just rip the bastard up and go hide in a ditch somewhere :(

11:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home